Saturday 6 September 2014

Language and Literature Blog #1

Nader Al Ramahi
9/7/2014
Language and Culture Blog

My life began innocently enough in a contemporary city called Abu Dhabi, in my opinion the early years of my life were by far the most important, they helped shape my personality and led me to becoming the person i am today. In these early years my dad did not have a stable job so relocation was something frequent, although my childhood years were rough and i never got the contingency to make close friends it was a vital part in shaping my personality. 


As a young boy constantly moving from one place to another i like to believe i have a decent understanding of language and culture and how language can have a considerable influence on culture. As for my definition of culture it is a set of ideas, arts, customs, and other manifestations in a distinct community and the most reliable way people in a certain community can communicate these sets and manifestations is through the use of language which is why i believe that language is culture's backbone and most imperative aspect. One example of how language can profoundly influence culture is that in Arab countries (more specifically Jordan) pauses between words are not too common while in Japan they can give a contradictory sense to the spoken words by the meaning of pauses.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nader!
    Good job on your first blog post! I really enjoyed reading it and found it quite interesting. Your analysis or rather definition of language and culture was quite intriguing. Your example is also very true as the Japanese place their verbs at the end of their sentences which may portray the words in a different way.
    Keep it up Man !!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that people communicate culture through language because ,I think, this is how we share and interact ideas with people. Your observation about Japanese language is interesting also that you can see the difference between Arabic and Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet and simple!! ;) interesting take on how, in a way, culture exists because of language, and the ability to communicate that which you define culture to consist of.
    Keep up the awesome work bro!!

    ReplyDelete